Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Preterm Labor

As I said in my last post, the day Ammon received his award for "Outstanding Computer Science Junior" I went into labor. To keep the story short, because it really is not all that entertaining, I starting having cramps at 6 am that morning and contractions shortly after. I mentioned to Ammon I thought I was having contractions, but in all reality at that point I had no idea what a contraction was supposed to feel like. I continued having contractions throughtout the day while I taught English at the high school. All day at school I told my mom I thought I was having contractions and she assured me it was nothing serious. Needless to say when I met Ammon for his awards ceremony he thought it was nothing but serious. He insisted I call the doctor before we went home, the doctor said go to the hospital, the hospital said I was having contraction every 1 1/2 -3 minutes. I was admitted to the hospital for what seemed like an eternity...3 days. They tried one drug...no success. Another drug...no success. Finally they gave me what you call magnesium sulfate. This concoction supposedly relaxes your muscles, one being the uterus, so you stop contracting. However the side effect is that you throw up, lose control of your legs, can only have about 1 tablespoon of water and hour, and lose control of your urinary tract muscles. I won't go into details for I believe everyone is creative enough to come up with a picture of what that looks like. The contractions did slow down, I narrowly escaped being shipped to Spokane, and was sent home on bed rest.

2 comments:

Phill and Jessica said...

Shipped to Spokane?! Yay! I mean, oh no! I would've been there in a heartbeat though, you can bet on that!

Medical Information said...

In many underdeveloped countries, Pre-term labor or PTL accompanied by ensuing premature delivery continues to be the significant cause of perinatal deaths. bacterial vaginosis or BV has been highly doubted. It has been concluded that BV is linked with both preterm labor and preterm delivery. For more details on it, refer Preterm labor