Sunday, February 24, 2013

Halloween Festivities/Bring Out the Bernina

Our Halloween this year was pretty low key.  Ammon was gone for a significant part of October in New Mexico, and I am never in a mood to celebrate without him (single parenting is tiring).


Kent settled for painting pumpkins with friends,


and then hammering glowing pegs into his little pumpkin once Ammon got home.

I kind of felt bad for the poor kid who didn't even get to carve a pumpkin, but he was pretty happy with the pirate pumpkin he created thanks to some money Grandma Udy gave him to spend at target on pumpkin decorating supplies.  Personally it was a lot easier to put some stickers on and make a pirate then to carve a pirate in a pumpkin.  The biggest feat of the Halloween season was sewing Kent's costume.  Sewing is one of those talents that I hide "under a bushel".  Not because I am not apt, but because I just don't enjoy it that much.  My mom taught me to sew probably around age 8 and I continued to take sewing classes and sew for 4-H.  Of course we had sewing in middle school and I took the sewing classes in high school, they were easy A's and far better than taking accounting or something like that (sorry Sarah and Nicole).  My friend Amanda and I decided we would set out to make our oldest kids super heroes.  They turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself.  I said I would never make another Halloween costume, but I also said I wouldn't have any more kids after Kent's pregnancy too, and we have Addy, so we will see.


The cape in process.


Ammon was gone the entire time I made the costume, so I spent a good deal of time with this one on my lap.  Any imperfections I blame on her.


Super Kent


Here he is at our ward trunk-or-treat.  You can't wear masks at church functions, therefore multiple people asked what he was, if that doesn't make you feel good about your costume making skills I don't know what does.  


Thank heavens for Carter's and their cheap, cute costumes I could just buy for cheaper than I could make one.


Super Kent and Super Abby


 Our ward at the Halloween party.  You can see Kent in the front and Addy is being held by a girl towards the back.  


I couldn't resist adding this picture of our Bishop's car during trunk or treat.  He did a pretty good job decorating for the kids and that is nothing compared to his house on Halloween night.

1 comment:

Brett and Rachel said...

So cute! I never saw Addy costume- both were darling, and I'm very impressed by your sewing skills, even if they're under a bushel most of the time! =)