Monday, April 4, 2011

#3

Kent was laying on the couch Sunday morning, awake I might add, and decided in order to get off he was going to use the less than conventional way of rolling. Unfortunately his left arm caught most of his weight and broke under the pressure. I was in the shower when I heard the scream and knew that something was seriously hurt, but had no idea what. To be honest, I was glad this all happened under Ammon's watch because the last two breaks were under mine. Ammon finally got to experience the high-pitched cry that doesn't end for an hour or so. He was put in a short splint yesterday and today when we went in to get it casted it was still swollen so they put him in a full arm splint and we will go back next Monday to have it put in a hard cast. Kent has been vitamin D deficient in the past which can cause problems with calcium being absorbed, causing weak bones. We used to give him drops but stopped a few months ago, needless to say we stopped at the pharmacy on the way home and picked up the drops in hope they help in the future. He is supposed to get his vitamin D levels checked again at his 2 year appointment so hopefully we are in normal range by then. Until then however, his aunt Rachel suggests bubble wrap.


Here he is lounging Monday morning with his short splint. Don't ask me why he feels the need to pull his pajama pants up above his knees, that's a recent fetish.


Here he is after his full arm splint was put on. It is twice as thick as the first one in order to keep it more immobile. I just hope I can get his shirt off over the thing.

5 comments:

Marilou said...

Oh no!!!! Poor guy!...poor you!

miriam said...

oh my goodness! poor Kent! I have vit d drops for Sidney but am not very good at giving them to her regularly. I will try to be better. Hopefully this is his last break, for his and your sake!

Rachael said...

Poor kid!! I'm so sorry. I am glad for you that it was under Ammon's watch as bad as that sounds. For some reason Hazel does the same thing with the pants above her knees lately. Crazies!

Kasey said...

Oh my gosh!! poor babe!! Poor Mama!! I am so sorry! I hope his levels are all okay when he goes back in! Ohhh..I just can't believe it! Can they do anything other than the drops?

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

Oh man!! Poor Kent!! Hope it heals fast! What a knack that boy has for broken bones! I'm sure you have it all figured out how to keep him preoccupied while the broken arm